The annual prizes - awarded at the annual meeting and open to all
members in good standing - celebrate curatorial excellence with
non-cash awards for best book; best article or catalogue entry; and
best exhibition or installation. Publication awards are awarded by
juries selected by the Prize Committee; awards for best exhibitions or
installations are divided into thematic categories and are voted on by the entire membership.
Past winners by Year:
Past winners by Category:
Outstanding Catalogue for an Exhibition
Outstanding Catalogue for a Permanent Collection
Outstanding Essay or Extended Catalogue Entry
Outstanding Exhibition or Installation
Recent Changes to the Exhibition and Installation Awards Process
In 2010, the AAMC Board of Trustees voted to approve a restructured exhibition/installation award structure. The previous structure had divided nominations in this category across time zones (Eastern, Central, Mountain & Pacific). The new thematic categories represented include:
• Outstanding Monographic or Retrospective Exhibition in North America (i.e. Canada, United States, Mexico, Central America)
• Outstanding Thematic Exhibition in North America
• Outstanding Exhibition in a University Museum in North America
• Outstanding Permanent Collection New Installation (or Re-Installation) (must be completed in year in which nominated) in North America
• Outstanding Small Exhibition (based on square footage: no more than 2,000 square feet) in North America
• In addition, the Prize Committee may, as necessary or as warranted, create one additional category annually (to recognize an outstanding exhibition that may not fall into one of the above categories, i.e. digital media, film, or video, performance, or installation art, or some category yet to be determined, by an art form yet to be created).
For more information about the restructured awards, please click here to view a new FAQ page for the AAMC Awards for Excellence.